Live-In Mentors Eastern
- Applications close:
- 30 April 2018
- Full description:
Would you like to be a positive role model and support young people to build independent living skills and transition to independent living?
Live-In Mentor (Lead Tenant) – Eastern Suburbs
- Would you like to receive free accommodation and utilities ?
- Are you compassionate and interested in making a real difference in young people’s lives?
- Easily combine this volunteer live-in role with your work or study commitments.
- Eastern Suburbs Location – Surrey Hills or Wantirna
Overview of the Program
StepOut is an out-of-home care placement option providing medium-term accommodation and support to young people aged 16-18 years, who have been placed away from the care of their families by Child Protection. The Live-In Mentor program provides a safe, semi-independent living environment where young people are supported in the house by Live-In Mentors who also live at the property and provide day-to-day guidance and mature role modelling. Live-In Mentors are not paid workers but volunteers. However, they are not required to pay rent or utilities (excluding telephone) and receive an honorarium payment of $75 per week. The volunteer role can be easily combined with your work or study commitments.
The Live-In Mentor’s role is to live at the selected property with another Live-In Mentor and two young people and provide direction, encouragement and support within the household. They are required to act as positive role models and assist the young people in the house develop independent living skills. Live-In Mentors are expected to demonstrate a positive and balanced lifestyle and be engaged in some form of employment, study or training. They are also required to participate equally in domestic chores and duties and ensure that any conflicts arising within the household are dealt with in a positive and productive manner.
Anglicare Victoria offers a comprehensive network of services to young people, children and their families / caregivers living across Victoria. We seek to ensure the provision of high quality services that will bring about significant improvements in the life experience of the young people, children and families / caregivers with whom we work.
To Be Successful in this Position You Will Need
- An understanding of adolescent behaviour.
- Ability to set and maintain clear boundaries and expectations.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to relate well to adolescents and work with them in a non-judgmental way.
- Previous voluntary and/or mentoring experience with young people is desirable but not essential.
- A background or understanding in social/youth work, education or health would be highly regarded but is not essential.
How to Apply
For a detailed position description click on the link at the top of this page. Alternatively, please email the RTR team at email@example.com for an application form.
General information about the Live-In Mentor Program can be found by visiting: https://www.anglicarevic.org.au/get-involved/volunteering/live-in-mentor/
If you have specific questions about the role please call Cathie Manuel on 9735 4188.
Applications close 30 April 2018.
We encourage and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.