TO A CHILD IN FOSTER CARE, YOU WILL BE AMAZING
It’s the little things you do that make you an amazing foster parent, like taking a child to the footy or having dinner together at the table.
You can help change a young life for the better. And you don’t have to be a superhero or a social worker to do it. You just need to be someone who is willing to care for – and care about – children.
All around Victoria, everyday people, from all walks of life, are opening their hearts and their homes to children and young people in need. But many more foster carers are needed.
And Fostering Connections can help.
Families come in all shapes and sizes, and so do foster care households. Victoria has 26 foster care agencies, including us, and we have come together with the Victorian Government to create Fostering Connections. Making it easy to find the foster care agency that is right for you.
The state of foster care in Victoria
- Foster care provides a safe and supportive home for children and young people when they are unable to live with their own families. Children can be in care from overnight to several years, depending on their circumstances.
- When you become a foster carer, you are able to specify the length and type of care you provide.
- Children and young people in foster care are just like any others except that they’ve typically experienced some form of trauma. They come into care at all ages, across all cultural, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- In Victoria each year there is a shortfall of more than 300 foster carers – we need more foster carers who can provide a safe and happy home for children and young people.
- To address the shortfall of foster carers, the Victorian Government has invested $3.2 million to improve the way Victoria attracts, recruits and retains foster carers.