Whenever issues of violence or abuse arise in families, the first step is to ensure that every family member is safe and protected from harm. Once that is achieved our trained staff of counsellors and practitioners can support adult and child survivors to recover and heal from the trauma of family violence.

We understand that experiencing family violence can be frightening and isolating. AV is here to support you. We have programs for adult and child survivors that will help you to recover from the impacts of family violence. If you are at risk now call 000.

Anglicare Victoria is committed to providing services that are inclusive to people of all genders, ages, people living with a disability, and those from LGBTIQ+, CALD, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island communities.

Beyond the Violence

Beyond The Violence (BTV) is an 8 week program for non-offending parents and their children who have experienced family violence. It helps families establish safety, rebuild relationships and move forward with their lives.

The BTV program is conducted with two groups running simultaneously – one for parents and one for children.  Both groups offer parents and children the opportunity to share and learn ways to cope with particular behaviours in age appropriate ways to encourage engagement.

Beyond the Violence helps survivors: 

  • Understand the impacts of the past violence on themselves and their children
  • Gain strategies for building resilience and reshaping life pathways
  • Take steps to establish or re-establish appropriate parent/child relationships

    Learn more about Beyond the Violence and find a program near you.

    Family Violence Financial Counselling

    Financial Counselling services are there to help people experiencing family violence. Financial Counsellors offer a free and independent service, which is confidential and free from judgement. A financial counsellor provides assistance and support to people who are in financial difficulty or concerned about impending financial difficulty.

    Financial counsellors can: 

    • Suggest ways to improve clients financial situation
    • Provide advice on what to do if you have trouble paying debts
    • To check if clients are eligible for government assistance/concessions (like Utility Relief Grants)
    • Negotiate repayment arrangements with creditors
    • Explain clients options and their consequences, including debt recovery procedures, bankruptcy and other alternatives
    • Help clients apply for a hardship variation
    • Help clients organise their finances and review their financial wellness via a referral to a Financial Wellness/Capability Worker who can further assist clients to improve their money management skills
    • Refer clients to other services, for example, family support, personal counselling or community legal aid

    Learn more about AV’s Financial Counselling services

    Refer to a family violence service

    The Orange Door

    The Orange Door is a free service for adults, children and young people who are experiencing or have experienced family violence and families who need extra support with the care of children.
    You should contact The Orange Door if:

    • Someone close to you is hurting you, controlling you or making you feel afraid – such as your partner, family member, carer or parent(s)
    • You are worried about the safety of a friend or family member
    • You need more support with the care of children, e.g. due to money issues, illness, addiction, grief, isolation or conflict
    • You are worried about the safety of a child or young person
    • You need help to change your behaviour and stop using violence in your relationships

    Child FIRST

    Child First is an easily accessible, community-based point of entry for children, young people and families needing support.

    Some families need family services support when they are experiencing difficulties that impact on their parenting and family life.

    Child FIRST (Child and family information, referral and support teams) are the entry point into family services. Child FIRST teams are located in sites across Victoria and is delivered in your local area by community service organisations.

    Use this table to find your local Child FIRST or The Orange Door referral phone number. If you are not sure which local government area the family you are concerned about lives in, visit the Know your council website.  

    Emergency and support services:

    Call 000 and speak to the police if you or someone you know is in immediate danger.

    The following services can provide help and support if you or someone you know is experiencing violence:

    1800 RESPECT | 1800 737 732

    Sexual Assault Crisis Line1800 806 292

    Lifeline | 13 11 14

    Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre | 1800 015 188 or (03) 9322 3555

    Men’s Referral Service (24-hour service) | 1800 065 973

    Elizabeth Morgan House Aboriginal Women’s Service(03) 9482 5744

    W/Respect1800 LGBTIQ (1800 542 847)

    InTouch – Multicultural Centre against Family Violence1800 755 988

    Kids Helpline | 1800 55 1800

    Contact your nearest The Orange Door or Child FIRST provider here to refer to a family violence service in your area.

    General Enquiries

    We run a number of programs for those affected by family violence in Victoria. Please get in touch below to find out more about programs in your area.

      Find a location

      Look through our office locations that provide this service
      view locations