The TEACHaR (Transforming Educational Achievement of Children at Risk) program assists children aged 4-18 years who need extra help in the classroom. Teachers work collaboratively with children and young people, their carers/parents, school staff and other professionals to transform their feelings and attitudes towards learning. While first developed for young people in out-of-home care, it has grown to support students, carers and professionals all across Victoria.
Education support designed to:
- Increase school engagement and attendance.
- Develop positive feelings and attitudes towards learning.
- Improve literacy, numeracy and academic skills.
- Help young people access higher education opportunities at the same rate as their peers.
Remote Teaching & Learning Strategy
During the current health restrictions AV’s TEACHaR program is providing specialist tutoring remotely. We continue to deliver the same dedicated, expert learning assistance to the children who need extra help in the classroom – but we’re not stopping there. With the challenges of a pandemic faced by everyone, we’re ensuring that all of our families can access the basic elements of this highly-regarded, school engagement program at home.
The Learning from Home Strategy Includes:
- Increased 1:1 Online Teaching Sessions using Webex.
- Educational Learning Packs for students that include IT equipment and desks if required.
- An educational resource library that includes specialist website and podcast links.
- Students access to free online courses and programs such as Mathletics, Reading Eggs and Literacy Planet.
- Virtual Classrooms that cover topics such as art, music, science, literacy, story time and VCE support.
- An online support community for carers schooling young people and children at home.
To access a service and for all enquiries email: TEACHaR@anglicarevic.org.au or fill out the form below and someone will get back to you.
TEACHaR has been independently evaluated multiple times and has proven results in ensuring students in Out of Home Care don’t get left behind academically.